3.25.2009

skincare! My favorite question!

I received an email the other day about skincare and I thought... perfect blog! I hope that you all comment with some of your favorites because I am always game for new products in this sector as long as they are truly natural and don't have parabens, propylene glycol, or sodium laurel sulfate.. these are three of my favorite "bad guys" and I feel as though if you can get around them in your products you are pretty much home free... but it's not easy!

I really listen to my sister in this 'realm' because, together with her husband, she has created a shampoo that is all natural (see sponsor ad for 'Onesta'). She is particularly weary of scents because this eventually means that some type of preservative has been used, she says there is pretty much no way around this...

So there you go... 'most' of my 'don't-s' but I have a lot of 'do's' that I love and here they are:
Dr. Hauschka - I have used their products for over 20 years now and I have always come back to them when I have had any trouble and it instantly goes away. I remember when I moved back to America from Italy and my skin suddenly got really bad for now aparent reason (Oh, could it have been that I had NO job, NO home, NO money... hhhmmm?) at any rate, I started using the 'cleansing cream' again and I swear the next day--totally gone and I had really nice skin again! If you want to just start with a couple of things use the 'cleansing cream' and then the 'facial toner' and you will be on track... (use the cleansing cream by pushing it into your skin, not rubbing it around, it's a Dr. Hauschka method and you will never wash your face any other way, it's wonderful!). Dr. Hauschka has just created a line for aging skin and it's incredible! I love each of the products, and I think they are really all you and I need for beautiful skin. My skin honestly felt younger immediately with the 'regenerating serum'--I don't have to read the labels because I know that their whole phoilosphy is built on bringing you in tune with nature.
Weleda - These two companies (weleda and dr. hauschka) do run a bit hand in hand, but I love the cheerful packaging and there is nothing better than a bit of Weleda's 'skin food' to help you skin recover from dryness. I just slather it all over my face some nights, it's an amazing drenching eye cream, good for sun burns, etc... The 'Wild Rose' line of products is wonderful as well. I havn't found anything from Weleda that I don't like... and if you are traveling don't forget your skin food! and as for the baby products they are all wonderful! calendula lotion should just be a staple on your home and it's good to keep the 'first aid kit' around for any scrapes, burns and cuts. (oh, and the breastfeeding tea is top-notch!! for the way it tastea and good for your milk)


Stella McCartney CARE. - I am always game for something new and after reading an article on this line of organic and natural pruducts by Stella McCartney I tried a few and they are great, I used the youth serum and my skin really felt wonderful, soft and really thin and young (do you know what I mean thin? ...that soft and supple feeling) I also really liked the way that Stella talked about this line of products she was doing, it all just seemed right. (you can buy it as sephora)

These are my three suggestions, but I would really love to hear from everyone on this subject because I LOVE to try new things. I would also like to mention that many people talk about these products being 'expensive' and I just want to ask you when was the last time you went to Bergdorfs and check out the cosmetics section... IT'S ALL EXPENSIVE! many of these natural ingredients cost more so I feel like it's better to put my money into farming than into packaging!

All of this aside, my swedish cousin was visiting and we steamed our face with a couple drops of tea tree oil and then we made this great scrub from olive oil, oatmeal, brown sugar and maybe something else, it was FANTASTIC!

I am really in search of natural make-up as well... I have not tried those mineral powders, but I think that's the next step. I don't wear a lot of makeup but if I want to look nice I do! most days I don't really care...

good luck!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post comes at the perfect time. i am 28, and have skin that breaks out quite frequently. i am not sure whether i need to be using weleda's rose or iris skincare. i always fight between wanting to use stuff for aging skin or skin with blemishes. i never know what to use! do you have any suggestions?

nonchalant mom said...

sorry kmadolin I accidentally erased your question so I have reposted it here as anonymous..

I think that you should take a look at the Dr. Hauschka products, along with the new aging formulas they have created a line of products for acne trouble. I also have used their rhythmic remedies and I know that they are terrific for this kind of thing (they are small glass ampules of liquid, that are magical). Dr. Hauschka handles breakouts in a really sensitive way and I think that you will be surprised how nice they are... try them. If you feel attached to Weleda, I would say that the iris line may be your thing because the wild rose line is much more thick and moisturizing.

lesley said...

This is so great. I am in the midst of switching to natural skincare. I have been using a sample of Lavera foundation and have been happy so far. I love Weleda for their baby creams, I'll have to look into their moisturizers. My skin is very sensitive and broke out when I tried Dr. Hauschka. Thanks for the tip on Onesta shampoo. All the natural haircare products I have tried have dried my hair out, I'm going to try this shampoo.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Some of our faves:

- Burt's Bees (everything)
- Avalon Organics (toner, CoQ moisturizer, 15 spf daily moisturizer)
- Giovanni (shampoos/conditioners)
- Alba Botanicals (Nice stuff but read the labels a few do have additives I do not like)

Any suggestions re: great sunscreens? I've tried LOTS of organic/natural etc....we like Alba - but there is discussion re: the safety of titanium dioxide?????

A Wisconsin reader

Elaine Greenberg said...

Ciao Carina! Have you thought about mineral make-up? In particular, we carry gloMinerals at our medspa, Ageless Remedies SouthPark in Charlotte, NC. It has vitamins C,A,K,E, green tea extract, and sun screen. Plus, no talc to block pores. And, it's triple-milled (super fine) so it goes on well. Make-up that's actually good for your skin!

Lizzie said...

Hi there,
First time i leave a comment on your blog. I read it regularly and love it. I particularly enjoy hearing about your Swedish connection, ( and seeing all the great Swedish designed clothes you sell) mainly because i am Swedish but living in London with a 20 month old baby boy. My suggestion would be Liz Earle products. Her cleanser is the business! Used with a muslin cloth. Completely detoxicates your skin. Natural and smells divine and totally affordable. Skincare guru nr. ! Also, have you tried Neals Yard? Their Frankincense cream is pretty magic. Also their rosehip oil which is perfect on my dry and quite blushed skin. I often mix it with a Dr. Hauschka cream. Or Skin Food..which is the most marvellous thing ever. My little boy has dry skin that often flares up...what do you think? Skinfood ok for him? I put flax seed oil on his cheeks too and also on his food which is meant to be good. Love this subject too, look forward to more on your blog.
Elisabeth

erica said...

I love Stella McCartney's Care line, but I wish I could find a nice spf-facial moisturizer.

For breakouts, I use Ole Henrickson's roll-on blemish attack, which is the only thing that has been working for me lately (though it isn't very 'natural'). Dr. Hauschka's blemish products weren't as successful, but in general I adore that line.

Has anyone tried the Weleda Baby Tummy Oil? My little one seems to suffer from constipation. His face is also prone to break-outs. Not sure what to do...

Anonymous said...

I was a fan of Dr. Hauschka products until I was turned on to Eminence. The entire line is amazing but my favorite overall product from them is the Eight Greens Youth Serum. Used daily it helps to control my hormonal breakouts. I also just got some good tips for cheap home remedy's like keeping green tea in a mister bottle in the fridge to spritz on your face.
Also using coconut oil and sugar as a scrub.
Jurlique is another great line. When I can I splurge for the spf 30 face cream.
Thanks for the post.

robin said...

i've been using sundari products for awhile and love them. other than that...i stick with weleda! thanks for writing about this topic :)

Kristina said...

I've been using Arbonne products for about five months and absolutely love them. They're formulated in Switzerland without any animal products, animal testing, petroleum products, fragrance....so much to love! And the baby line is just amazing.

Karen said...

Evan Healy is a great line, all natural, not sure about organic. But absolutely wonderful, I liked it better than Dr. Hauschka, which I tried, but it didn't do much for my skin.
The rosehip serum, chamomile (smells like pure chamomile tea) and hydrotonics are amazing.
Weleda Skinfood is a FAVE! You're right, Carina, it's great for travelling because you can use it for multi-purposes and the kids.
Badger Balms does great lip balms with no preservatives, just organic olive oil and some essential oils.
Thanks for yet another great post!