7.09.2009

Première Heure



There doesn't seem to be a middle ground of opinion when it comes to newborn babies. Usually, as I found in my bit of research about the photo series of newborns by photographer Thierry Bouet called 'First Hour', the opinion was that the babies were ugly. I, of course, do not see it that way and prefer to see a new baby as something beautiful. You'd be hard pressed to find any mother describe a baby any different!

I think that you can already see something of the character of a new child even at birth. Bouet's photos seem to me to capture that. I'd be interested to see what you guys think.

Exhibition Photos in La Samaritaine, Paris

This series, consisting of 50 large scale photographs, was originally exhibited apparently at the beginning of 2008 in the former Paris department store called La Samaritaine. Bouet said in an interview with the guardian.co.uk that he derived the idea from the Christian Nativity, and this helped his decision to use only IVF babies. He said he wanted to emulate the idea of the immaculate conception. Obviously, the idea for the large scale presentation was to make more of an impact. I happen to think they are beautiful and very revealing.

You can see many more here at www.lifelounge.com where they have provided a decent selection. And, for more on Thierry Bouet you can check out his website.