6.16.2009

almond and orange yogurt cake


I found this cake in the June issue of Everday Foods (a martha stewart magazine). So far I have made it three times and the result has been fantastic! The kids love it too which is always such a bonus... I guess that all kids love any kind of cake... but this has some good stuff in it so you can fool yourself that it's not so bad!

Each time that I have made this cake I have forgotten something, once it was the egg yolk, once it was the orange rind IN the cake, and then once I forgot the vanilla--my poor poor memory! But it has still been great each time. Someone please send us a comment if you make the cake with ALL of the ingredients! If it's good without them, I'm sure it's fantastic when you add everything you are supposed to add!! This cake comes out moist, yummy and it makes a splash with the beautiful candied orange rind on top! (oh, and it's super easy!)

Almond and Orange Yogurt Cake
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp, plus more for pan
1 2/3 cups sugar (I used 1 but you can do what you want I think!)
6 wide strips orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon finely grated zest
3/4 cup semolina flour
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup blancd almonds, finely ground in a food processor
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup greek yogurt (full-fat), plus more for serving

directions:
preheat oven to 350 and butter a 9" round cake pan (I actually used parchment and organic olive oil spray and it worked great)

1)in a small saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, water, and orange-zest strips. bring to a simmer over med-high heat; cook until sugar has dissolved, about 3 min. Set syrup aside to steep.

2) in a large bowl, wisk together flours, almonds, grated orange zest, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low, alternately beat in flour mixture and yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

3) transfer batter to pan; bake until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean 50-55 minutes. let cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert onto a rimmed serving plate. Using a fork, poke shallow holes (about 15) into top of cake. Pour half of the surup over cake; garnish with orange-zest stripes from surup. let cool completely. serve with yogurt and remaining syrup.

hints: I didn't have the semonlina the first time I made it so I just used 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour and it turned out wonderful!

thank you again Martha!!
Let us know how yours turns out!