4.07.2011

bedwetting



Bedwetting is such a typical struggle and just a mystery if you happen to have girls, because it just doesn't seem to happen... it seems to be more of a problem for boys. There are many different approaches, like limiting beverages after 7 or 8pm, night time diapers or there is even, unfortunately, medications that can be prescribed. You can even wake them up take them to pee at about midnight and there you go... no peeing in the bed (this was our particular choice). Believe me this is totally normal, and if you talk to friends with boys they will probably have the same story.

When I told my sister about this she told me that within her group of friends, a bunch of whom have boys, all concurred that at nine years old it just stopped. So we just looked forward to that ninth birthday! A few weeks before 'said' birthday I told our son about what was going to happen when he turned nine and I saw the wheels turning in his mind. Miraculously, a week before his ninth birthday, he started to wake up and go to the bathroom by himself or even better just not wet his bed, it just ended.. just at his ninth birthday!

I thought it was pretty crazy, and I know how difficult it is and when your kids are five years old.. nine seems so far away, but it will come one day... and you will wake up and not have to wash the sheets! I loved the suggestion that Dr. Michel Cohen has, teach him to wash the sheets himself! It makes the whole thing even less of a problem because you don't have to deal with the laundry! (love that!!)

So when you are waking up to take your child to pee at midnight you are going to think of me... and then just remember, on his ninth birthday... it will all just magically come to an end! TADA!

What are your suggestions...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i did infant potty training with my two boys and they were both not wearing diapers at night at 18 months of age!actually my first son was holding it through ( a lot of) nights from 6 months on.my 6 year has not wet the bed since b4 18 months and my 3 year old has done it maybe 3 times since he was 20 months old.
people should try putting their babies on the potty when they wake up from a nap-that's the easiest way to do it!babies can learn to use those 'holding' muscles!

jill s said...

it's funny because out of the friends i have all of the boy kiddos have not had issues!! it's the girls!

i have a 6 1/2 year old girl who has a terrible time falling asleep no matter what kind of routine we do...so I think she must just get into a crazy deep sleep once she's finally out! she wears pull ups at night and about 50% of the time i'm sure glad she did!

anyways! i hope when she turns 9...well i'd really love it if it was when she turned 7...that it magically stops for her too! :)

Leigh said...

We've got a 6 year old who goes weeks sometimes with no problems at all, but then just when we think he's gotten over it, then he reverts to wetting again.

I'm not sure I want to be waiting until he's nine though.

I'm also not sure I entirely agree on getting him to wash his own sheets. Don't you think that comes across as a sort of punishment?

By the way I've commented on this post over at my new blog.

Thanks for the insight. I'll be sure to keep an eye on your blog.

Leigh

Anonymous said...

I wish it stopped for me at my 9 th birthday......sigh

eugirl said...

I know it's an old post but just FYI the malem bedwetting alarm worked like a charm for my 6 yr old, re-trained his brain in about six days! Wish i had gotten it earlier...

Anonymous said...

My 12 year old son wet his bed during a time when he was bedridden for 2 weeks with an injured ankle. I went into his room early one morning to give him a sponge bath, and he had already removed his pajamas. He was laying on his back sound asleep, and when I began to wash his leg, he started peeing all over his bed sheets. Around this same time, I scheduled him a massage appointment, as this was recommended to help with the healing of his injury. I stayed in the room with him during his massage. The therapist had him remove all of his clothes, and covered him with a small hand towel. About half way through the massage, my son looked at me and said he had to pee real bad. The massage therapist and I helped him get off of the massage table and stand up, then he peed on the hardwood floor. He said he couldn't hold it any longer, and the therapist said not to worry. After the therapist and I cleaned up the pee, the massage continued, and my son said it felt very good. These were the only accidents my son had during the time when his ankle was injured.