6.29.2010

exercise, exercise, common everybody do your exercise!


I am one of these people that can't really stand to go to the gym, I have never been able to do it... when we lived in NYC we used to bike up to Chelsea Piers and while my husband went to "work out" I went swimming laps... that's the closest I ever got to the gym. But really, it was just an excuse to use the sundeck. Since I was 18 I have been doing Iyengar yoga, not very regularly, but pretty constant. The best yoga teacher I have ever had teaches out of Boston - Karin Stephan (she is doing a retreat on Cape Code later in the summer which I will give you the full details in a post to come) - you can visit her website YogaMacro for more information on her classes!

I know how your life can get so busy, surprisingly so if you have a new baby and as your children get older it is somehow STILL surprising how little time there is in your life. So here I come with a solution! You may remember when I wrote a blog about exercise cleaning and I still think this is a good idea... but how about in the summer, there is so much work to do outside and I think it completely counts as exercise (I actually asked my doctor and she felt its a good source of exercise as well).

So here is an idea, take it one step further, you know how you go to the gym every day, well how about yard work every day, just an hour! I don't know about you but my kids can pick up sticks in the yard (just to keep them busy) while I rake leaves -- hold your abdomen tight, twist with aerobic agility, and pull the rake back with strong arms! Mow the lawn... don't just stand behind it and push but use your whole body, energize your whole body and push the mower up hills, and don't take the easy route!

The point is that you can be creative in your exercise, it doesn't have to happen in the gym to keep you fit! Remember the Karate Kid! WASH YOUR CAR! Bring your exercise home... take stock in doing housework, yardwork and chores. Our bodies were made for much more rigorous work than sitting at a desk and working so remember you need to keep using it for that!

I know I go on and on about hanging out laundry but it's really my favorite time of the day! -- it may sound weird but, it's calming!

(I know that this has nothing to do with anything but a monk mowing and smoking... loved this image!)