2.02.2009

domino, bye bye... whaaaa!


yes, I cried just like a baby! (just kidding, sort of... ) I am so sad to hear that one of my favorite publications will be calling it quits with the March issue... why is it that the the really GOOD magazines never stay around long, well at least they are in good company, remember Mirabella (in the beginning when Grace was at the helm) and what about H&G (yes, I like house and garden but for awhile in the 90's there was H&G and it was GREAT!). I can't imagine where I am going to get my inspiration... on a monthly basis! I love Cookie Magazine as well, but somehow it's a little high-brow for me, I loved that Domino was accessible. I feel really lucky that they photographed our house so amazingly and made it look like... well like a really cozy great house (it is! ha!).

So here is a possible upshot... I never really covered that kind of 'home' thing much because I thought that domino did it so well, so I will try my best to offer more home things on my blog, just to fill in some of the open space that is out there without Domino... We will try to get by until someone steps up to the plate and creates another very fun, spontaneous, exciting and inspiring magazine...anyone up for the challenge, come on Condé Nast!

and if you don't get Cookie magazine already on a monthly basis, you should...let's make sure that at least IT stays around for us to look forward to! It IS filled with great mom information!

6 comments:

tt said...

I'm devastated! I do get COOKIE and love it as well... maybe everything is going online?

lesley said...

That's too bad. I also like Domino. Hopefully Cookie will stay around. I get that every month.

Anonymous said...

Sad indeed! I liked the fact that Domino wasn't 'OVERLY' obsessed with the celebrity thing. I understand it sells, but Domino seemed to find a happy medium and instead chose more interesting people (like Nonchalant Mom!!!). Cookie is fine enough, but the ads pretty much say it all for me - mainstream and big names. I really thought it was going to be different when I first saw its logo...oh well. Perhaps mags are going to go more toward online - I like 'small' magazine (I found the mag through Nonchalant Mom). Very nice. I think it is a good idea you focus a bit more on some home stuff - your home seems so 'easy' and beautiful. I'd like to see what you focus on! Many of the other blogs I seem to run up against seem obsessed with baby caps and greeting card designs....ugh! Thanks. philippa

Anonymous said...

This is so sad! Please fill the void that Domino will leave. You will do amazing job!

Anonymous said...

i'm an art director from the philippines and my preference in magazines evolved from martha stewart (living, baby, kids) and real simple during the late 90s and early 2000. by 2005 i got to know dwell, domino and cookie. though they weren't available here thru subscription until 2007, i get them only thru a shop that sells back-issues of various titles. just recently (oct 2008), i decided to get domino on a monthly basis. i gave up real simple (since 2001) for domino because imported magazines here are not cheap. i'm definitely getting their last issue. i hope someday, domino will come back to add again to my 9 things that make me happy..

mgladden1 said...

Hi Carina! I am a huge fan of Domino and met the editors and staff when they were just starting out. They had such a fresh perspective and attitude that was so different and unique! I have now become a nonchalant mom fan due to their article on you! This is truly sad...I would JUMP on my issues as they came in the door every month. Just ask my husband!!! I am a Cookie fan as well and I heard via the internet that they could be on the chopping block as well very soon. I am so grateful for blogs like yours that keep me in touch with people and things that I find interesting (even if the rest of the world doesn't!)It seems that being unique doesn't cut it when the economy takes a turn. That is truly sad!