6.21.2013

recipe: chicken in the oven

There is nothing I like better than being able to stick a chicken in the oven, everything in one roasting pan and be DONE with dinner! (well maybe a bit of brown rice to go with that...) I think that I shared with you my FAVORITE new cookbook Jerulsalem by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi, it's changed my entire palate and the cooking in our house will never be the same! This book was a gift (so I'm suggesting you might want to get a couple of copies so that YOU can give it as a gift because you will want to!) from Jann (Lucky Fish!) and I use it so much, even to adapt things I already have been making. There is a different flavor and it is GOOD!

Back to chicken... I just wanted to share the dish we made (follow along with me on page 179) the Roasted Chicken with Clementines & Arak (I made it with oranges and pernod instead). It was SO delicious that I made it again for my mom on her visit (and I got her the cookbook!)

mor mor made rubarb crumble (on left), then then the Roasted Chicken + rice there on the right (with wild rice!)

I feel kind of weird copying this onto my blog but I checked and apparently recipes are exempt from being copyrighted (!) -- since they are meant to be shared!.. true but I still feel weird... here goes:

6 1/2 tbsp pernod (he suggests arak but I couldn't find it out here in the boon docks!)
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp orange juice (fresh squeezed!)
3 tbsp lemon juice (fresh squeezed!)
2 tbsp grain mustard
1 large organic chicken divided into 8 pieces (I actually went online and learned how to do this!!)
or chicken thighs work too!
4 clementines (I used oranges)
1 tbsp thyme leaves
2 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
salt + pepper and parsley garnish

mix the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, whisk and add salt and pepper.

trim and cut fennel into 8ths wedges and add these + chicken to the marinade and marinate overnight or at least a few hours.

preheat oven to 475 (I used 450 and it was okay too) - put all into a beautiful pan and bake for 35 - 45 minutes - for me there was just enough juices as is - or you can cook to reduce.

YUM - now go get the book! Jerusalem by Yotan Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi

momfilter recipe for lemon chicken!

I also thought this was a really nice recipe of oven chicken on the blog Momfilter - click here for recipe.

good luck and happy chicken cooking!
OH and did I mention kids LOVED this.... !!