6.09.2008

some great information on milk!

monday is the day that I usually take a moment to read through the treehugger website, they had a wonderful story today on milk that I would love to pass on to you. I know that I have told you that my kids don't drink milk on a daily basis, but I feel that I should say that I do this because I simply think that after my kids had my breastmilk, they didn't need to drink cows milk daily because they are not cows...it just seems weird to me, but we do eat yoghurt! (ok everybody...now send me emails about being a hypocrite...) I think that if you are interested in milk for it's values you should know this information!

Brit Study Says Organic Grass-Eating Cows Give Healtiest Milk
by April Streeter, Gothenburg, Sweden on 05.31.08

The debate still rages whether organic or conventionally handled foods are better for us. Don't believe it?

A new study (from Newcastle University) gives reinforcement to the idea that organically-produced milk is healthier than regular milk. The study showed organic (summertime) milk had 67 percent higher levels of vitamins and antioxidants, and 60 percent more conjugated linoleic acids than regular milk. It also had higher levels of good Omega-3s and lower levels of Omega-6s than conventional milk. The key was the grass factor - organic cows tend to get a lot more grass and clover, conventional cows get more grain. Now this may seem like a "yeah, duh" but after the study came out, the British Goverment's watchdog Food Standards Agency felt compelled to say there was little evidence to prove organic was better. It plans to study the Newcastle study. With food prices rising, it's good to get a little reinforcement that organic purchasing does offer tangible benefits.

link to article here.
_________

there you have it...ok, now let's all comment, I know this is a touchy subject!!!