8.05.2015

recipe :: ginger cabbage


I don't know about you but at my CSA they are never at a loss for cabbage, and I grab it just about every time. Because I know I have this recipe in my back pocket if I need to make something super fast and super easy. I love to pair this with a nice, and I'm talking really nice - a grass fed, local..  steak on the grill. When we make it it's all we have just the cabbage and the steak - YUM!

GINGER CABBAGE
-one head of cabbage - you can use Napa, Savoy or plain old regular cabbage (I like Napa best)
-chop up into small squares or if you are using Napa or Savoy shreds are nice just make them nice and thin
-1 1/2" piece of ginger (or slightly more if you like it spicy) grated (I like to use a japanese ginger grater and then I squeeze out all the juice into the cabbage)
- salt and pepper

saute cabbage in olive oil - it will reduce a lot so don't get worried when you see I giant pan of cabbage! add salt and pepper to taste (I like a lot of pepper!). When it cooks down add in the ginger and saute for a bit so it cooks into the cabbage and you are done!

yes, it's fast and YES it's delicious!

If you want to make it with more calories and make it creamy you can add a spoonful of creme fraiche. You can make it fancy by putting a layer of cabbage on the bottom of the plate and then add your steak on top or slice the steak and put on top... SO delicious!