8.03.2014

jess brown design :: womens collection


jess brown drawstring slip
Our favorite creator/designer Jess Brown has made her way into womens clothing, not in the normal way -- why would Jess do that... She is making a collection of wear-now clothing that doesn't follow the rules of fashion. It's made for the person who doesn't necessarily follow fashion - she just has great style and does what she wants (so does Jess herself!). I love all of her pieces because once you buy them you will throw them on and never take them off! You might throw something else on top, like a cashmere or alpaca sweater or your favorite jacket but her pieces will become a part of you.

Jess Brown summer rag doll with Lulu & Pip book

Most of you know Jess Brown through her most delightful dolls, if you don't have one... get one! They will make you smile and there is nothing better than seeing your kids sleep with these soft and cuddly dolls. I will admit, I know some people who collect them and put them on shelves, nothing wrong with that but they make the perfect girls best friend! they fit in a backpack, they cuddle in bed and on a side note from me.. they are easy to make clothing for, kids can almost do it themselves. I suggest you start with a doll and a book, just to give your girl the idea of how these dolls become your favorite companion. Both of the books, Kiki & Coco in Paris or the new book Lulu & Pip make a great gift together with the doll!

So you see how it's all about something that becomes part of your life... That's just the way that Jess is! Recently we had a short conversation about the womens collection and about her life that I thought I would share with you so that you can feel a bit of the Jess Brown life!

jess brown pintuck slip
jess brown pocket caftan

 CS: what was your inspiration to start your womens collection?
JB: The inspiration for the women's collection was mainly an effort to create patterns from antique pieces that I had collected over the years at flea markets. I was wearing these irreplaceable things thread bare. Once the patterns were in the works, I had decided to change them slightly and put more modernity in to them.

jess brown drawstring dress

CS: I think many designers make their collection ultimately for themselves, but to me your collection is so universal, it's pieces seem to be part of a lifestyle, without a season, I just layer things on top of each other - was that your intention? Because you are such a tiny person, I think of you as a gorgeous pixie fairy - but your collection really works for everyone. (photo above is jess in the the drawstring dress)
JB: That was totally my intension! You got it!

CS: You are so lucky to live in the sweet town of Petaluma, CA. I am sure that you cook fresh and delicious food - what is your favorite thing to cook that your family loves... all that...
JB: I do like cooking a lot and we are so lucky to live in Sonoma county. We can buy everything we eat locally which is so special. Lately we've been making fish tacos non stop... Summer food! We use locally caught fish, what ever is available. Then we create a marinade with seasoned rice wine vinegar, cilantro, red onion, lime. Sriatcha. We grill the fish after marinating for an hour or so. Then serve in small flour tortillas.

CS: Do you follow any kind of food regime? Paleo... Vegan...
JB: I don't follow any regime at all. I'm mostly interested in buying local and fresh. Knowing where our food comes from is what I stick to.

CS: When you travel with your family where do you like to go
JB: The kids are just in their teens. We generally do beach trips . This is a group of surfers!

CS: Do you have certain things you can't live without in your home, like you always have a family dinner together, or you always spend sundays together? 
JB: Family dinner is number one on the list of what's important in my house. Especially with the teenage thing happening! I see them a bit less during the day now that they are older. Dinner is where now matter what, we all connect. Weekends are also family time. Although it's getting harder to keep that going as they are getting older. We do lots of road trips and beach days which keeps us all close.
Thank you Jess for spending some time with us and we love you and the creativity that you share with all of us! 

jess brown trunk show closed in Sept. 2014